Online Playwriting Classes on Zoom
This class might be right for you if you:
- Are a playwright of any level looking to start the first draft of your new play;
- Are starting out in the world of playwriting or want to write your first play;
- If you want feedback on a play you’ve been writing and would like to do some rewrites;
- Want to learn some of the elements of writing a play, building a character and telling your story.
- In this class you will:
- Read various plays of different genres and discuss them;
- Be given assignments in class to write a scene in 15 minutes and then have people read your scene aloud and receive feedback;
- Bring in new pages and have them read aloud in class by others and receive feedback;
- Be given assignments to strengthen your writing skills;
- Network with other artists in the class;
- Receive inspiration from invited industry guest speakers; and
- Some playwrights may be invited to submit their plays to the acclaimed Strawberry One-Act Festival and the Jocunda Music, Film & Theatre Festival in New York City.
For the Zoom Class your instructor will send you a link to enter the Zoom Class.
You can access Zoom on your laptop or your mobile. You just click the link to launch the virtual classroom via your web browser. In the Zoom Meeting, each participant can share their webcam so that you’re not only hearing your instructor and classmates, but seeing them too, making it feel similar to being in a classroom. Other collaborative Zoom features include Breakout Rooms in which students can meet in smaller groups. You can share videos and transfer files for your assignments. If you can’t log in on your computer you can call in on your phone so you can still participate if you find yourself without access to your computer or internet access. And Zoom has an Apple and Android app, making it possible to take part in class from any device.